Saturday, October 13, 2007

Yes, Al Gore won a Nobel Prize, but he DID NOT win an oscar.

This is really annoying me. Every single article I've read about Gore winning the Nobel Prize yesterday (have you heard?) also mentions how he "won an oscar" earlier this year. Except HE DID NOT.

Don't get me wrong: I love Al Gore and I loved An Inconvenient Truth, and I wish I could vote for Gore next year cause I couldn't in 2000 (I was 17). But he DID NOT "win an oscar." Davis Guggenheim did. Because he directed the movie. Just because it's about Gore, and starts Gore, doesn't mean the oscar went to Gore. I'm pretty sure it's actually on Guggenheim's mantle right now.

If Grizzly Man had won Best Documentary (which it should have), would people be claiming Timothy Treadwell had won the prize? No. He may have been responsible for most of the footage, but he was not the director of the movie. If Erin Brockovich had won Best Picture, would people be claiming Julia Roberts had won two oscars? No. Now, I get that categories like Best Doc and Best Foreign are a little non-standard in terms of who they're actually awarding, but in every other case, the director gets the benefit of the doubt.

This is just so obvious a concept that I can't even believe I'm discussing it. But if I see one more article titled "First an oscar, now the Nobel Prize!" my head will explode.

5 Comments:

Blogger John T said...

This has been annoying me also. Why can't they just say, "first an Emmy, than a Nobel," cuz he did one of those.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

Tell me about it! I was screaming about this one day after the ceremony because everyone was all "Al Gore won an Oscar" when he clearly did not. The IMDb page for An Inconvenient Truth says it was awarded to Guggenheim not Gore. Ugh!

And now he's won the freakin' Nobel Peace Prize? I fail to see what Al Gore has done to bring peace to this planet. He's a noble guy and it's great that somebody is out there making a stand on this incredibly important issue, but it's not like he's bringing down Apartheid or anything. Gimme a break.

12:07 AM  
Blogger adam k. said...

I actually read something about the rationale behind the Peace Prize thing, and global warming apparently relates to peace because there are already countries engaging in war over scarce resources which will only become more scarce in the future (due to global warming), which will lead to more war. But less, because of Gore. Theoretically.

What did he win an Emmy for? In what category? IMDB is mum on any Emmies for Al Gore.

Clearly they had to put Oscar in there cause it's much more prestigious than the Emmy.

Emmy < Nobel Prize (by a wide margin)

Oscar sort of = Nobel Prize, in its own way... sort of. At least moreso than Emmy.

1:20 AM  
Blogger J.D. said...

I think he won it for a television version of An Incovenient Truth, which has been a best-selling book, Oscar-winning movie, and probably next for it is TONY-award winning musical. You know it's coming...

And idea of "peace" is something I've never really agreed with. It's a contradiction of terms to think humans can have peace, or at least long-lasting peace. We're too disturbed for that, I tells ya!

5:06 AM  
Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

It's not like Gore's goal was to stop the war between nations of earth resources when he decided to do the whole Inconvenient Truth thing. Meh, anyway, I'm still just annoyed at that "documentary".

Also, it's a shame Melissa Etheridge didn't win the Grammy as well because they sorta coulda said he was a Grammy winner too!

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home