Sunday, November 27, 2005

Memoirs of a Geisha is going to flop

Well, maybe not financially (we'll see), but the early critical notices are not good. Of the first six rotten tomatoes reviews, four are negative. One critic compares it to The Color Purple (which I, a child of the 90's, have not seen), saying both were merely surface-level portraits of complex cultures. I think this film is headed for a very mixed critical reception, but it remains to be seen whether that will affect either its box office or its oscar chances. My bet is that if the reviews affect the box office (i.e. the film flops), then THAT will affect the oscar chances. Otherwise, it may still hit the top categories, including lead and supporting actress. After all, Whoopi, Oprah, and Margaret Avery were all nommed for The Color Purple, which was also nommed for best picture. How much money did that one make? Anybody know?

I suppose the comparison may not hold up, but the films do seem strangely similar, from the three nominatable female roles, to the Spielberg connections, to the "great ethnic epic" tags. I'm interested in seeing how this film is received. In any case, I personally am not expecting to like it. That Pan-Asian casting call just totally rubbed me the wrong way.

But anyway, to Rob Marshall, Zhang Ziyi, Gong Li, and Michelle Yeoh: may you get the awards and attention you deserve. Or not.

1 Comments:

Blogger adam k. said...

Dear Ms. Rabbitt,

Thanks for reading, and I will try to put one painfully pretentious run-on sentence in each posting (subtlely). Generally when I use long run-on sentences, I try to make them humorous in order to draw attention to the fact that I know how long and ridiculous they are. I don't like sounding pretentious. Having taken several cultural theory type classes at a lofty Ivy League institution, I know the toll that kind of writing takes on a reader. But I will try.

Good luck on your play. Don't sweat it. Just about anything can be read as feminist.

Regards,
Mr. Inner-Life

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home