Sunday, November 27, 2005

Walk The Line is NOT going to flop

So, yeah, Walk The Line grossed $22 million last weekend and almost $20 million this weekend (both against Harry Potter), and is now sitting pretty in second on the charts with $54.7 million. Not bad. So I guess, really, the appropriate thing to say would be "Walk The Line DID NOT flop". At this rate, it'll hit $70 million in another week and just keep making steady money all through the season. I bet it'll top out somewhere between $100 and $120 mil when all's said and done... a very nice total, and way ahead of last year's Ray.

This would definitely be the obligatory "hit" in the best picture lineup. It's looking like a surefire nominee for best pic, director, actor, actress, and probably screenplay, too... not to mention sound, editing, etc. It might even win best picture at this point, if Munich and Brokeback prove too political.

In any case, I am looking forward to seeing it, and hearing Reese and Joaquin sing. It's glorious to hear people sing together when they're in love. Even when they're just acting it.

In other news, I just went to the fitness center and worked out today for the first time in months, and it felt great. Plus I sang all the way back to my room. Ah, the body... a wondrous, wondrous thing.

6 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

I've felt for a while that WTL was the best bet for Picture and Director nominations. Above Munich and Brokeback Mountain and the like. It just seemed easier than those.

-Glenn

8:51 AM  
Blogger adam k. said...

Yay, comments!
Yeah, I agree, it may not be a frontrunner to win, but now that it's opened it's actually looking easier to nominate in top categories than either Brokeback or Munich (though I'd place them second and third). Just have my doubts about screenplay cause, well, Ray didn't make that category... and adapted is always crowded.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

Well, I haven't seen Walk The Line (out here JANUARY) but this movie has a romance. It has an actual story to hang scenes on, and not just "here's a music scene. here's a scene of Ray on drugs. he's a bad powerpoint presentation showing what happened to Ray when he died"

...or, that's my understanding of the movie (I hate Ray)

-Glenn

1:10 AM  
Blogger adam k. said...

Good point. (I do think it will get the screenplay nod; I just have less confidence in that one than in the other top categories)

I only saw bits and pieces of Ray on TV once, but I wasn't too impressed. Jamie Foxx was good, but damn, his acceptance speeches got annoying. I just don't like him. He seems like such a ham. I would rather have seen Leo or Don Cheadle win. Not to mention Paul G, Jim Carrey, and Jeff Bridges.

2:21 AM  
Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

Ugh! I don't even like Jamie Foxx that much. He was fine, but none of that "transcending" crap.

And, I am completely with you about his speeches. Even my friends who hadn't seen the movie hated him by Oscar night.

But, I am not a fan of Paul Giamatti, and I thought Sideways wasn't the bees knees like others thought.

I think I'm in agreement with Academy that someone like Paul Giamatti portraying a boring schlub isn't great acting.

-Glenn

9:28 AM  
Blogger adam k. said...

I'm not a huge fan of Paul Giamatti. And I thought Sideways was good but overrated. I do think Paul deserved a nomination for it, even if he wasn't the greatest thing since sliced bread. I was more upset about the Carrey and Bridges snubs, though, really.

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home