Monday, June 12, 2006

TONY awards and updates

Not much to say about the Tonys... but I wanted to mention them anyway. I was disappointed that Sweeney Todd lost for everything but best direction (and a little bit shocked that it lost best revival... what is that about?), but whatever. I guess I'm happy for John Lloyd Young, cause he went to my school and has been all over our "Alums and Friends" notices today... but I haven't seen Jersey Boys, so I can't comment on his performance. I loved the speech of the guy who won best actor in a play. So cute. And it was cool to see Ian McDarmid and Cynthia Nixon win. I also enjoyed Julia Roberts' conciliatory "you are all very talented people" bit; it seems she's learned her place in the showbiz world (i.e. movie star ONLY).

Still, I just can't seem to get into the Tonys the way I get into the oscars, even though I love live theater. I will continue to watch them, though... I am a whore like that.

In other news, I have received Email confirmation that Silkwood is on its way, so I should have access to it tomorrow (unfortunately, I inadvertently got big plot spoilers when I went looking for Karen Silkwood images to post... damn). I think I'm going to amp up my netflix subscription to 2-at-a-time for the summer, so this marathon can go more quickly.

Also, the Deer Hunter entry is revamped and completed (I rewrote the review, gave it a grade and added a new image for kicks)... so go have a look-see if you want. That's it till Silkwood. Have fun.

4 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

You'd probably get into the Tony's more if

a) You saw all the plays and musicals, and
b) were surrounded by other Tony obsessors.

4:32 AM  
Blogger RC said...

isn't sweeney todd going to be made into a feature length film directed by tim burton maybe staring johnny depp?

I feel like i heard that recently.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

11:49 PM  
Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

It is, but most likely the original Sweeney Todd, aka, not the revival version.

5:05 AM  
Blogger adam k. said...

Well, no particular "version" of a show is adapted, cause the adpatation is really another "version" in itself... who knows what Burton will do with it.

But yes, it is being made into a film, and you probably heard it on Nat's blog, cause he's discussed it.

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home