Monday, January 08, 2007

DGA nods, with my predictions

Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, Babel
Martin Scorsese, The Departed
Bill Condon, Dreamgirls
Clint Eastwood, Letters from Iwo Jima
Stephen Frears, The Queen

...and Jonathan Dayton & Valerie Faris, Little Miss Sunshine.

WOW. No Clint. I'm a bit surprised at the Dayton/Faris nod, but not overwhelmingly so... and I do think they're deserving. Definitely more deserving than Condon and arguably more deserving than Gonzalez Inarritu and Frears. The only one I think everyone agrees is great is Scorsese, who looks like a lock to win.

But what of Clint? Is he dead? Did no one watch their screeners? I hope this isn't another boring 5/5 year in picture/director, cause there are SO many great possibilities for lone directors. I could see it being 5/5 or 2/5 this year... really tough to call. But I hope at least one of them is booted come oscar time, preferably Condon.

So it looks like this is our best picture list:

1. The Departed
2. Dreamgirls
3. Babel
4. The Queen
5. Little Miss Sunshine

and far, far behind...
6. Letters from Iwo Jima
7. United 93

And for best director, perhaps:
1. Martin Scorsese
2. Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu
3. Stephen Frears
4. Paul Greengrass
5. Clint Eastwood
6. Bill Condon
7. Jonathan Dayton & Valerie Faris
8. Alfonso Cuaron
9. Guillermo del Toro

It could of course be a simple 5/5, with Dayton & Faris suddenly frontrunners for a nomination. But I think if anyone has the power to boot them or Condon (or Frears), it's Eastwood (hero worship) or Greengrass (critical backing). I think Cuaron and Del Toro are splitting each other's support.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home