Wednesday, January 03, 2007

UPDATE: Leo is supporting again.


THE SCOOP: Apparently the SAG nomination ballots went out before Leo started getting nominated as a lead, so they listed him as supporting. And the SAG nomination process has strict rules that you MUST vote for an actor in the category they in which they are submitted... even if it's totally fraudulent.

THE GOOD NEWS: This means Leo could get nominated and possibly WIN the supporting "actor," just as he won the satellite award in the supporting category... and he could be double-nominated, too.



THE BAD NEWS: This will cause lots of confusion for oscar voters. It could be another Scarlett Johannson situation.

THE OTHER BAD NEWS: This totally f***s up my SAG predictions, so I'm redoing them. Look for changed predictions in the other post.


P.S. For the record, I don't think it's totally fraudulent to call Leo supporting in The Departed. But if he can get nominated in lead, then he should get nominated in lead... especially since Blood Diamond was disappointing.

2 Comments:

Blogger Yaseen Ali said...

If this holds up, do you think we could have Leo as a double nominee this year a la Jamie Foxx and Al Pacino?

I don't know if I'm just thinking crazy, but I think Leo has a good shot at the Oscar statuette in the Supporting race too. After seeing Eddie Murphy's perf, I don't think it's good enough for gold (as if my opinion matters.)

7:11 PM  
Blogger adam k. said...

Eh. I don't really think Leo will be double nominated. I feel like most people have already voted for him in lead for The Departed. It's obviously the more loved film and performance, and I think he'll get more lead votes for it than for Blood Diamond, even if some votes are thrown into supporting.

I think it's either lead for Departed or nothing. He still doesn't have the traction in supporting to actually get himself nominated..

5:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home