Sunday, January 07, 2007

National Society of Film Critics winners

BEST PICTURE: Pan's Labyrinth, dir. Guillermo del Toro
(runner-up: The Death of Mr. Lazurescu)

BEST DIRECTOR: Paul Greengrass, United 93
(runner-up: Martin Scorsese & Guillermo del Toro)

BEST ACTOR: Forest Whitaker, The Last King of Scotland (zzzz...)
(runner-up: Peter O'Toole, Venus)

BEST ACTRESS: Helen Mirren, The Queen (zzzz...)
(runner-up: Laura Dern, Inland Empire)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Mark Wahlberg, The Departed
(runner-up: Jackie Earle Haley, Little Children)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Meryl Streep, Prada and Prairie
(runner-up: Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls)

BEST SCREENPLAY: The Queen
(runner-up: The Departed)

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: Children of Men
(runner-up: Pan's Labyrinth)

Interesting choices, these. Well, except best actor and actress.

Actually actor was sort of interesting because it was a tie; O'Toole and Whitaker tied and Whitaker won by one vote in the tie breaker. I wonder whether Whitaker might actually win the oscar? O'Toole's inability to win a single award (even the satellite for comedy/musical, which he lost to Joseph Cross) can't be a very good sign. So that category looks a little bit up in the air to me.

This supporting actor win should give Wahlberg a leg up in the oscar race... NSFC wins tend to really help out in the final stretch. Woulda been nice for Jackie Haley to really cement his status as the critical favorite, but at least he got runner-up.

Very interesting to see Streep land in supporting for the first time ever... I doubt it means anything, but maybe she has some unseen support for her Prairie perf? I dunno.

And I assume this means The Queen will probably win the screenplay globe and then the original screenplay oscar. Babel and Little Miss Sunshine don't quite seem to have the strength to win there.

And hopefully Greengrass' win here will cement his claim on oscar's lone director spot. I don't really expect his film to make it, but he sure as hell better get in himself; he and his film have been all over the critics' awards, and he really really deserves it.

As for the Pan's Labyrinth win... I don't really know what to say. Haven't seen it yet. I don't really expect Guillermo del Toro to get nominated for directing, but maybe a screenplay nod is in order? I should probably add it to my chart. Even more interesting than their best picture winner, though, is their choice for runner-up. Maybe I should see this Mr. Lazarescu film?

Anyway, I'll go now with the addendum that posting will be less frequent this week, since I have the GREs on friday, and should really be studying my ass off. Between that and movies and other things, I don't think I'll have time to blog. I'll comment on any big new nominations and whatnot, but other than that, not too much.

6 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

I wish they had the balls to just give it to Laura Dern cause damn that would've been goood.

4:13 AM  
Blogger adam k. said...

Well don't worry, it's not like it was close.

One round of voting, and Mirren had already own b like 94-25 or someting ridiculous like that.

2:28 PM  
Blogger adam k. said...

*already "won by..."

Oops.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Craig Hickman said...

Streep won some other award for supporting actress for Prada. I don't remember what, but I do remember being a bit surprised by it.

6:11 PM  
Blogger adam k. said...

I'm pretty sure it was an honorable mention from a critics group, not an actual win. But it was a citation nonetheless, true, so someone else did place her in that category.

I personally think she's a lead.

6:17 PM  
Blogger adam k. said...

Oh, and by "honorable mention," I meant a runner-up.

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home