Wednesday, July 25, 2007

godDAMNit, Lindsay...

...didn't you get my letter???

I'm a fan of Lindsay Lohan. I really am. I think she's a very good actress. Her one-two-three punch of The Parent Trap, Freaky Friday, and Mean Girls was very impressive. But I have officially given up hope. If she can't last ONE DAY out of rehab WITH AN ANKLE BRACELET ON without using BOTH ALCOHOL AND COCAINE, there is just no hope for her. And I say this with great sadness, because the girl should have been able to deal with this. But apparently all the money in the world can't buy you responsible parents or good common sense. It seems that all the future holds for her now is a juicy "True Hollywood Story."

My aunt is an alcoholic. It sucks. It's like there's two people: the sober one and the drinking one. And you only want to know one of them. But then at some point you realize it's NOT really two people; it's only one, and it always will be. It's a maddening disease, and I've given up trying to understand it. I've also given up being angry at those who have it. When you've been through enough of it, the only emotion you don't run out of is incredible sadness. The whole thing is just so very sad.

I'm being serious now. This girl could've been a beautiful, successful, respected actress and star. Instead, she's just an addict, and yes, a trainwreck. It hurts to think about it. In every article, interview, and public appearance I've seen of her, she's seemed to have exactly the personality of a desperate addict: charming and fun on the outside, intensely troubled underneath.

I just want to wish her the best in fighting this, if she's even still trying. And I want to tell all the haters, who call her a "whore," a "spoiled bitch," and even a "bad actress" (that last one's a flat-out lie) to get a life, and stop being petty. You don't know her, and you can't judge. The one thing that cannot be denied is that she's an ADDICT, and it's not pretty. So I hereby wean myself off of her. But I hold no ill will. She has a disease, and it's killing her. The least we all can do is not add insult to injury.

Brought to you by: Adam, in an unexpected surge of compassion.

Addendum: My aunt recently had a relapse in her own alcoholism, which I suppose is why I'm feeling so personally connected to this. I just wanted my readers to know how I feel, and that I still wish Lindsay the best, though my hopes are not high. God, I can't imagine having followed the whole River Phoenix thing when it was happening... that must've been brutal.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Barry said...

Wow. That's some powerful stuff. She doesn't get the respect she deserves for being an actress. She is really good in everything she does.

Are you going to see I Know Who Killed Me?

4:01 AM  
Blogger John T said...

For me, she always seemed like she'd be the next Ann-Margret, and not just because of the hair. They both had that saucy determinedness. However, at this point, I think the best she can do as a performer and actress is slip off the stage for a while, hopefully get the help she needs, and maybe make a comeback a few years down the road.

11:26 AM  
Blogger adam k. said...

See, the thing is, as much as I love Lindsay's acting, I haven't actually seen many of her recent movies, simply because they're widely reputed to be crap. Her post-Mean Girls career, with the exception of Prairie Home Companion, has not been good. And I just can't afford to spend money on films I know are gonna suck.

So no, I probably won't see I Know Who Killed Me. Unless the reviews are unexpectedly good. But who knows, at this point, I may see it just to throw Lindsay a bone.

Here's hoping for a comeback in a few years. And lots of recovery 'til then. Actually, I'd be happy with her just being alive in a few years. Sigh.

12:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's kinda sad but...I can't imagine her being more than a Vh1 reality show personality in 5 years

1:26 AM  
Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

I saw her as a Liz Taylor type, actually. Exotic and beautiful, but not in the blonde way, and incredibly talented in a way that people actually underrate. But... ugh.

Yeah. Not even Liz Taylor was this crazy in her hey day.

4:38 AM  
Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

Oh, of course, I should say she was exotic and beautiful in the non-blonde way before she died her beautiful hair and it became so blonde it was white and then... well. You know the rest.

4:39 AM  
Blogger Marius said...

I saw her as a Liz Taylor type, actually.

Um, I totally disagree. Liz Taylor and Lindsay are on totally different levels in almost every respect. First, as an adolescent and young adult, Liz was much more mature (and sophisticated) than Lindsay. Their beauties are also very different. Liz could easily play a Mediterranean beauty (she kind of did in Cleopatra), something Lindsay could never pull off.

In her younger years, I think it was clear that Liz was an icon in the making. The same can't be said of Lindsay at the current time.

11:56 PM  
Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

Well, Lohan was being given the card of her generation. The sort of actress who was respected critically and by movie-goers.

I don't think the mediterranean thing really counts though. I mean, Lohan can't help that nobody would believe her playing someone from that region.

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home