Sunday, July 01, 2007

Just saw Ratatouille...

...and boy, was it good. God, how I love Brad Bird. I still prefer The Incredibles, I think, but this was a worthy successor.

Barring some sort of huge groundswell of support for The Simpsons Movie, this would seem to have the Best Animated Feature oscar locked up. It's also seriously in play for original screenplay, original score, sound, and sound editing (the categories of choice for Pixar flicks). Michael Giaccino's score, in particular, is lovely, perhaps even topping his previous Incredibles work with Bird (for which he was snubbed), so I hope he gets a nod this time around. And the screenplay is definitely at the level of the previous Pixar screenplays that were nominated. I could see this getting 5 nominations easily, though I think best pic is out of reach unless the box office really takes off.

The reviews, in any case, have been spectacular, and rightfully so. I don't wanna play critic with this film and provide a full review (if you've seen it, you'll get what I mean), but I'll just say that if you cross the brilliant animation of Pixar with the critical cred of Sideways, this is what you get... which is quite fitting, since the film is all about finding new and unique combinations of familiar parts. This new and flavorful concoction somehow made the tale of a rat taking over a posh Paris restaurant inexplicably moving, so much so that I was practically in tears at film's end. And that, needless to say, is quite a feat.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger J.D. said...

I don't think anything Pixar makes for a probable long while can top The Incredibles. It's just too perfect. But have they actually ever make a bad film? I think that's technically impossible to be honest, right?

10:07 PM  
Blogger adam k. said...

Miraculously enough, Ratatouille is pretty much the equal of The Incredibles, even if I prefer the latter. They are both by Brad Bird, after all.

I would've nominated The Incredibles for best pic in 2004 if I'd had a ballot, along with Eternal Sunshine, Before Sunset, Spider-Man 2 and either Sideways, Dogville, Huckabee's, or something else (not sure).

And Ratatouille might end up being one of my 5 favorites this year, too.

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No way around it, Brad Bird makes better movies with animated characters than most directors can make with real ones.

And for your 2004 line up, Sideways...please god Sideways. Not Dogville...please not Dogville.

11:06 PM  
Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

ew, Sideways. My top 5 that year are Birth, Dogville, Spiderman 2, The Incredibles and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - I'd feel terrible leaving off Collateral, Before Sunset and I Heart Huckabees, but 2004 was an amazing year.

Anyway, I have to wait until August to see Ratatouille unfortunately, but those reviews! It was 96% Fresh at RT last time I saw, 100% Cream of the crop, too. Wow.

3:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it sick that I'm kind of in love with the character Linguini? It is, right?

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home