Monday, February 25, 2008

Look how shocked Cate Blanchett is when Cotillard wins the oscar. And what is going on with Julie Christie?



I realize that for some, this clip only reopens wounds that are better off left to heal. You guys don't have to watch it.

But for those who ARE watching, pay special attention to Cate Blanchett. Isn't it funny how she's even more shocked and elated than Cotillard is? Also, Julie Christie seems not to react at all until after the whole name is read out. Just after "Marion", she sort of freezes, before acting happy a moment later. Cynics would say she's pissed, and needs a moment to calculate before putting on her game face. But I think she probably just didn't hear the name. Marion, of course, displays the requisite shock and awe, while classy Linney and Page are subdued and gracious.

I wasn't a big fan of the speech, to be honest. It was a bit too "OMG, I'm SO shocked and happy and girly I don't even know what to say!" for my taste (shades of Halle Berry). I prefer winners who know the game, know the award doesn't mean ALL that much, and are a little bit above it, while still showing class and gratidute. Go ahead, Cotillard fans, come at me with your pitchforks.

I guess I should really check out that performance, huh?

Don't worry, I will.

5 Comments:

Blogger J.D. said...

Well, Cate was a big, big fan of Marion's performance, so of course she'd be excited as hell when it happened. [shrugs]

10:06 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

I really think that Julie didn't want to win the award- she seemed to have a big smile on her face whenever the camera showed her after the award had been given. And we already know she doesn't give a damn, so I do think she's just a bit slow. ;)

And Laura Linney is just loveliness personified. I know you mentioned it in the Once-take 2 clip above, and she always seemed like a beaming, wise kind of oracle- like, I'll say it, a god. I hope she'll win one day, but you know that she'd be like the total opposite of Cotillard you described. She doesn't need awards- but they do help her transcendent spirit a little.

And yeah- I'll shut up soon- Cotillard's speech was a bit meh after seeing pretty much the exact same at the BAFTAs.

5:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought Cotillard was cute, but I understand what you mean about appreciating it when they 'know the game' and are a little above it all while still gracious.

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cotillard was embarassing. After almost a year in America she hasn't found the time to learn English ? She sounds like a 14-year old French girl on holiday in London. And I listened to her on a French program the day after she stole that Oscar and she was also embarassing.. she acts like a teenager and can't form a sentence..even in French. No surprise people think actors are dumb and uneducated !!

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First: She's french
Second: She speaks very well english... Proof in Big Fish, Highlander and A good year... But I love her reaction, It's very emothional
Third: I love her performance

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home