Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Ben-Hur at the Ziegfeld


I was in NYC this weekend visiting a friend, and it just so happened that the Ziegfeld theatre, which I'd heard some about through the esteemed Nathaniel R, was having a special run of screenings of "classics" (i.e. old epic-type films that have won academy awards). On Monday, they were showing Ben-Hur, so I decided I just had to have a look-see.

And I'm so glad I did. SO glad I saw this film on the big screen (I had never actually seen it before). It was 212 minutes with no intermission, but whatever, it was worth it. Grand, epic, and utterly lovely melodrama. Loved the music. Loved the drama. Loved the Heston (ironically playing a character rather opposite of how his persona seems today). Loved the gay subtext between Judah and his old friend at the beginning (The Celluloid Closet reveals, as I recall, that the other actor was in on "playing it gay" while Heston, as Judah, was not... maybe that's just a rumor, but I personally choose to believe it). Oh, and LOVED the chariot racing scene. Just terrific to see on the giant screen. A technical marvel for the '50s, and still quite impressive even now.

The only thing that bothered me was the end, when...

**SPOILERS**

...Ben-Hur's mother and sister, having become "lepers", are magically cured, healthy and beautiful again, after witnessing Christ's crucifixion. That was a bit too fanstastical for my taste. Though in general, the Christ stuff was handled very... well... tastefully. It was all about love, and hope. THAT is what Christianity is about.

So yes, do see Ben-Hur, anyone who hasn't. It's awesome.

Grade (for what it's worth): A-

2 Comments:

Blogger NATHANIEL R said...

Adam,
so glad you saw this. It really is a spectacle (makes today's spectacles seem rather limp, no?) and yes, it's true about Heston being unaware of what Wyler and Boyd were up to with Judah. hee.

12:18 AM  
Blogger adam k. said...

Nathaniel! You DO spy on my blog! Mwahahaha. Thank you.

Yeah, the Ziegfeld is quite awesome. Have you been going for the classics? I love how they actually charge LESS money for these... I wish I could be in town for the West Side times (or is that over already?). That would be AMAZING to see on a big screen. Ouch, my senses! They're overwhelmed!

4:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home