Monday, January 16, 2006

Golden Globe live-blogging

er... at least I think so. I'm just going to write until I feel like finishing the post, and then start another one, and continue on until the globes are over. Actually no, I'm just gonna do it all in one post. It's easier.

Ooh, best supporting actor... I think Clooney but maybe Dillon... or of course it could be Giamatti... let's see, here goes:
Ah, I was correct: Clooney. Nice. Now hopefully he won't win director. Also, Adrian's hair is really long... weird.

Ooh, a Jack Abramoff jab. Hah. Kind of a lame speech though, overall. I don't really like George's voice. It's not really all that. I don't get the massive appeal of this guy... he kind of strikes me as your usual attractive, "cool" guy from high school who everyone wanted to be like, but who also seems insecure in his coolness. I'm not really that big a fan. He is mighty cute, though.

OK, here goes, best supporting actress... Scarlett got lots of applause... ooh, so did Michelle... here goes:
Oh my. Rachel Weisz! Should've seen that coming. Well, she was my third choice. I'd predicted Michelle, and then Scarlett. I haven't seen Constant Gardener, but I like her. Nice shout-out to Feinnes. Classy. Go, Rachel, go! I like that now the supporting actress race has been thrown for an even bigger loop. I wanted to hear Michelle speak, though. Oh well.

Blah, TV awards... Paul Newman... ooh, Sanda Oh! I love her. Wow, she's so hyper. Yay, Sandra.

OK, commercials...

Back. Wow, Emmy Rossum scares me. Her face still doesn't move.

Hmm, the Goodnight and Good Luck clip is on. I need to see this movie ASAP. Whoa, David Strathairn out in the audience looks very different from Edward Murrow in the movie. Actually, he looks pretty hot. Is that weird of me to say? He's so old... and yet so hot... whoa.

Best TV actress - drama... come on, Geena, you deserve this. You are getting lots of applause, that's a good sign. Yay! Geena Davis wins! Oh, yay! She looks fabulous for her age. Jesus. She is like 50 years old. And wow, she is so funny. I love how she just made up that story about the little girl. Geena, you're fabulous. I heart you to death. I'm so glad you've finally won a golden globe! Awesome.

Best TV actor - drama... I don't really care about this one. I just wanted to see Geena win. OK, let's see who wins... who? what? I missed that. Who is this actor? Why are they playing Massive Attack's "Teardrop"? Hugh Laurie. Hm. Yeah, I saw him on Ellen once. He seems like a nice guy. I wonder if he's a little tipsy. So far, no one has been, but it's getting to be about that time. Whatever, regardless, this little stunt of his, pulling names out of his pocket, is great. Very original. Nice. The show is livening up.

OK, more commercials...

Back. OMG. Melanie Griffith. She is acting so vacant. Wow, she needs help. Oh, that's right, Miss Golden Globe is her daughter! And wow, her daughter looks kind of uncomfortable. I feel for her. I wouldn't want to be Melanie Griffith's daughter either. Wow, how totally awkward. This Miss Golden Globe thing is hilarious. I don't recall them doing it in recent years. Whatever.

Why did they not mention Uma Thurman when introducing The Producers? They mentioned all the other actors. Weird. It's like the HFPA have totally forsaken her. They don't even mention her this year, let alone nominate her. How unfair.

Best TV movie/miniseries... okay. Yadda yadda yadda. Empire Falls. I don't watch TV (other than Commander in Chief), so I don't care.

Best TV actor - comedy... come on, give it to Steve Carrell to make up for not nominating him for 40-year-old virgin... ooh, they did! Yeah. Go, Steve, go! Now, did his wife REALLY write this speech? I'm thinking this is all a cute stunt of his own. It is funny, though.

OK, more commercials... back soon.

Back. Yay, Tim Robbins! What's he presenting? The Constant Gardener. Fitting. Whoa, look at his hair. Is that for a film or something? Wow, Rachel Weisz really is remeniscent of Kate Winslet, in a major way. Crazy.

Best actress - comedy. Get ready to roll, Reese, this is your moment. Laura Linnelly? Nice, Jamie, Nice. Ooh, lots of applause for Reese. It's hers. Yay! It is! Hm, you can still here hints of the southernness in her voice. I'd never noticed that before. Aw. She and Ryan are so cute. Ryan is so sweet, adoring her from his seat. Cuteness. So much cuteness.

Best TV actress - comedy. Wow, Chris Rock is funny. So who will win this one? Felicity? Marcia? Mary-Louise? Hm. Tough call. Oop. Mary-Louise Parker gets it. Vote-splitting will do that, I guess. I guess this means Huffman's got the film globe for sure.

Why don't I really like Mary-Louise Parker very much? I still think she was weak in Angels and America, and I'm bitter at her for that. Weird, her voice sounds like my aunt's. Creepy. It's kind of nasal. I just really don't enjoy much her at all. I find her grating.

OK, commercials again... back soon.

Back. Yay, Emma Thompson! I miss you. Do a good movie again, please. Yay, Pride & Prejudice! Good to have her present it. Ha. She's funny.

Best TV actor - miniseries/movie. Whatever. I don't care. Ooh, Ed Harris. Nice. JRM. Nice. Ooh, Donald Sutherland. Maybe he'll win this one. Let's see... JRM! Awesome. He's so pretty. And so Irish... wow... I've never heard him speak before out of character. He doesn't look like Elvis at all, though. Hm. He seemed uncomfortable. Oh well. NEXT.

Best TV actress - miniseries/movie - Halle Berry. Eh. Whatever. Kelly MacDonald. I love her. S. Epatha Merckerson. Who are you? Cynthia Nixon as Eleanor Roosevelt... hm. Mira Sorvino. Nice. Who gets it? Ah. Merckerson. I've heard she'd get it. Though I've never seen her in anything ever. First lead in a film? Wow. Oh, the hot flash joke... I love her.

Commercials.

OK. Screenplay. Oh my. Brokeback won. Looks like it will be winning a lot tonight. But now that it's won screenplay, maybe Ang won't actually win director? We'll see. Hm.

More commercials.

Best TV Series - Comedy. Hm. Maybe Desperate Housewives will lose? Maybe not. Whatever. I don't really care. Desperate Housewives. Woo-hoo. Big surprise. Speech time... maybe they'll be interesting. They are taking their sweet time, though. Here goes. Blah blah blah. Oh, whatever.

Wow, Penelope Cruz has a very, very thick Spanish accent. Mrs. Henderson Presents. OK, fine. I guess I should see this movie.

Foreign film. Aw. SJP and Matthew what's-his-name are cute together. But wait, they're not an item, nevermind. That's the other Matthew. Paradise Now. As expected. I should see that one, too. Aw. Nice speech.

Commercials again. Sigh.

Man, commericals suck. Blah.

Yay, Catherine Deneuve! Weird dress, though. I'm not a fan. Why is she presenting A History of Violence? How random.

Anyway, moving on.

Best original score... this is will be interesting. I am predicting Geisha, but I really have no idea. Here goes: John Williams for Geisha! Ha. I was right. I guess I did have an idea then. Wow, he hasn't won in a while. Will he win the oscar? Hm. Nice speech. Short n' sweet.

Mariah Carey. Wow, she is orange. That can't be her natual color. But it's not like she's that white anyway, so why is she using fake tan? Weird. Winner? Ooh... Brokeback. Didn't see this coming either, but yay! Glad it gets recognition here, since it'll be out of the oscar race. Damn.

Commercials.

So in the interem, let's think... Brokeback has won two and lost two. It has three categories to go: Actor, Director, Picture. I had predicted it to win all three of these, but I'd expected neither screenplay nor song to happen. Will it still win all three of the big ones? I hope so.

(update: I saw Brokeback again and loved it this time. Don't know why I didn't connect with it before. Expectations, I guess. Whatever. I am now totally onboard the Brokeback train and want to see it win everything.)

Yay, Gwinnie! You're cute. Wow. I didn't know Hopkins had done 100 films. Yowza. I always sort of thought of his career has having begun with The Silence of the Lambs, even though I knew that wasn't the case. How nice for him to have such great success in his later years. Aw, Gwinnie, how cute are you? I love it. Ooh, Hannibal... so great. I love Anthony Hopkins. He rocks. And Gwyneth is still super-cute. She just keeps smiling! Must be the pregnancy.

Here's Tony. Looking very regal. Very, very nice. And quite painless for a long tribute thing.

Commercials.

Yay, Squid and the Whale! Good film.

Aaahhh, The Clint. Presenting best director. Please let it be Ang Lee. Both he and Clooney got lots of applause. Come on, here goes: Ang Lee. Awesome. The oscar's his now. Period. Aww... Ang, you're so cute and awkward. I love you. And very classy to comment on how great all the other films are. Especially since you're clearly not TRYING to be classy, cause you're just so cute and genuine and awkward. Yay! ...but it is about time to wrap it up now, Ang. Good. Thank you.

Side note: I love how Tom O'Neill was trying to make all this drama about how Brokeback would get upset in director and/or screenplay and now he's been proven wrong. Sweet. He's so arrogant and obnoxious.

John Travolta. Aw. And the globe for best actor - comedy/musical goes to: Joaquin Phoenix. Obviously. But yay! He was great. And wow, he's very sexy, isn't he? He is reminding me of his brother River right now. Growl. You go, Joaquin. You go.

Commercials. Sigh.......

OK, more Brokeback speculation... it now has Song, Screenplay, and Director. If Heath wins, then it has 5 globes total. That's amazing. When's the last time a feature film won that many? A long time. But I speak too soon. Heath could still lose, easily. But I say he doesn't. If any group is giving it up for Heath, it's this one.

Ooh, they're back. And Renée is presenting Best Musical/Comedy. I'm hoping for a Pride & Prejudice upset here, but I'd be fine with Walk the Line. And there it is: Walk the Line. It's getting nominated for the oscar. Totally.

Whoa, oops, I think I missed some stuff. Whatever. I spaced out. Lost just won best TV drama series. The intro by the cast of Will & Grace was funny.

OK, best actress - drama now... goes to: Felicity Huffman. No surprise here. Don't think she'll be winning the oscar, though. She looked a little oscar. Definitely not the traditional deglam kind of goddess. I think Reese has the oscar all the way. Nice speech, though. She's pretty cool.

Ooh boy, here goes... Nat must be freaking out right now. Swank might be giving the statue to Hoffman any moment now. But I still think it's going to Heath. Sooo... best actor - drama goes to: NO!!! Hoffman got it. Damn. I really did not see that coming... I really thought Heath would get it! Capote had no other nominations! Gaaaahhhh!!! Oh well. The Brokeback love was spread elsewhere. Nice speech, though. I don't resent Hoffman for this (I haven't even seen Capote yet... maybe I'll go tomorrow), but I wanted the race shaken up. Sigh. Oh well. I don't think Heath has a chance now. Booo.

Commercials.

And now here we are: Brokeback Mountain for best picture. Sweet. Four globe wins. The oscar will follow, clearly.

You know, I was just thinking... not only is Ang Lee overdue for best director, but Focus Features is overdue for a best picture win as well. They've had a nominee every year except last year... ever since Traffic in 2000 (Gosford Park in '01, The Pianist in '02, Lost in Translation in '03... and they deserved best picture nom for Eternal Sunshine '04 as well). They are THE hot new studio right now. And thid makes even more certain that they'll win. For Brokeback. Awesome.

And that's it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

That was fun. I still don't think BBM is certain for Best Picture JUST yet. However, I still think the Academy will wanna give it to Ledger and Williams. Will they be able to resist that op?

11:09 PM  
Blogger adam k. said...

I just don't see what it would lose to at this point. If one film rose up as the clear challenger, I might get scared. But I think any dissenters will be split between multiple films. I guess if Crash or Walk the Line got director nominations and started to look like real threats, I might get scared. If Crash won SAG ensemble AND got a director nomination and a decent nomination tally, I might get scared of it. I'm not scared of GNaGL anymore, really.

But if Heath and Michelle do both win, you can bet the film will win, too. I don't really see them winning without Jake, though. And all three winning? No.

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home