Sunday, January 22, 2006

King Kong

Wow. This was really, really good. I sort of get now why people were touting it as a possible best picture winner or nominee (and in some cases still are). The beginning was slow and sort of annoying, but it found its groove on the island and in retrospect the beginning was fine, though it could've used another pass through the editing room. The effects were truly mindboggling and I kept wondering how they possibly did all those things, what with Watts being thrown around by the ape, etc. And the score added serious soul and gravitas.

And this convinces me now more than ever that Watts' true gift as an actress is playing actresses. She has such an archetyal actress-looking beauty. I almost can't buy her as "just some person." And she seems to have some trouble not being overdramatic. Lightness is not her thing. But she was perfect here. As many pretty blondes as there are in Hollywood, I actually can't imagine anyone else in this role. And she managed to sell being a vaudevillian, which I didn't think she could. It may not have been the most demanding role in traditional terms, but the physical demands must've been extreme, and all that acting opposite nothing was impressive (or was she opposite Andy Serkis? I don't know). She sold it all. Now I may not be Watts' biggest fan overall, but if there is a movie where she plays another actress in an extreme situation, I'm there. And given the weak best actress year, I would not object to her being nominated (not that she will be).

So a little long and a little cheesy, yes, but the emotional payoff was well worth it. And something about the combo of depression-era-NY and the treacherous skull island had me thinking a lot about the chaos of nature and man's inherent drive toward violence and competition, and it got me feeling so lucky to have the life I have, and to have movies, where desperate situations, hard times, and horrifying action can be expertly dramatized for a great emotional punch with no danger.

Really, I am kind of surprised an saddened by the disappointing awards traction and box office (given the expectations) for this film. I think it deserved better. It seemed at first like the kind of good movie/blockbuster spectacle that could never be a real oscar movie, but by the end, it was something more. Despite the cheesy and fantastical nature of it all, there was real mythology and emotion here. And a real reverence of cinema.

Yay for movies. Yay for King Kong.

Grade: B+/A-

5 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

hmm, i've officially decided my reaction wasn't a kneejerk one. Usually when I don't like a film and I then see someone give it a rapturous review I think back to remember if I missed anything.

And, yeah, It didn't change my opinion of the movie.

"I didn't see why this would be nominated for score before I saw it, but I now believe it will be."

See, for a big adventure movie where was the big rousing theme of King Kong? All these sorta movies have really catchy themes but... where was it here? The score was sorta like a lot of the stuff in the movie - messy.

8:37 AM  
Blogger adam k. said...

I recall the score being quite emotional and operatic and fitting the movie perfectly (after the bouncy beginning, which annoyed me). I don't think they were going for the typical "catchy adventure theme" thing. Anyway, I thought the music really added to the film.

It is all a bitty messy, though, you're right... and it is already fading some from my memory. Probably more of a B+ for me after some time to think on it.

One thing though that was really gratifying was seeing Watts finally being great again in a role. This was definitely her best performance since Mulholland Dr.

I had no problems with the special effects really, I thought they were wonderful. The only thing I really couldn't buy was when they were shooting the bugs of people with machine guns. That was just stupid. You can't expect to not hit the person with a bullet when you do that.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Javier Aldabalde said...

Don't turn on me Adam! Keep the A-! :)

10:06 PM  
Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

hahah, the bug scene was rediculous. That was the very moment that I really got annoyed.

The effects that I didn't like were the ones where it was of a closeup of Naomi Watts in Kong's hand. Really bad green screens. Same with the stampede scene. Plus, when they were New York the more aerial shots looked like Sim City models.

12:37 AM  
Blogger adam k. said...

I don't remember the "Watts in Kong's hand" scene. And I don't remember being annoyed by the cityscapes. I think it's one of those situations where if you're into the movie in general, and buying it, you just buy the effects along with it, but otherwise not so much.

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home