Friday, February 17, 2006

wtf is up with Julianne Moore's career?

OK. This is getting out of control. Julianne needs to star in a good movie NOW. This is a totally random topic, but apparently Freedomland is pretty terrible (on the level of, say, Laws of Attraction, The Forgotten, and Prize Winner), and that makes 4 bad movies in a row. I haven't even bothered to see anything she's done since The Hours, and that is saying a lot for me. I suppose one could argue that if I'd seen these films, I might've liked them, but I know when to stay away. I don't have unlimited funds. And seeing Julianne Moore in bad movies is not exactly something I want to pay for. Utterly masochistic is what it is.

I never used to blame her for this recent tailspinning, but I feel I no longer have a choice. She didn't NEED to do all of these things. She has the choice to say no. Granted, Freedomland must've looked like a good idea back when Michael Winterbottom was involved, and she is still trying to get the funds for Savage Grace, but I am growing tired of waiting. It's hard to even like Julianne anymore when she hasn't done a movie worth seeing in over 3 years. If Savage Grace never gets made, and she continues to go this route, it will be a true tragedy. Though the stuff she has coming up looks somewhat better than what she's done lately. And it better be, cause she has a lot of making up to do to climb out of this hole she now finds herself in.

Come on, Juli. Make me proud. You didn't spend the '90s building your great rep for THIS. Get off your '50s furtinure, leave Caleb and Liv with Bart, and go make something of yourself. PLEASE.

2 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

ya i agree. It's getting beyond a joke. You can't even say she's doing it to become a bigger star and get more money because "Freedomland" has flopped.

7:28 AM  
Blogger adam k. said...

I don't blame her so much for Freedomland, since that would've been good had Morgan Freemand and Michael Winterbottom still been involved... though now it's a totally different movie. I think she meant for it to be her oscar vehicle, but unfortunately the new director sucked.

Laws of Attraction, I think, was meant to be another comedy "stretch" which I guess is an admirable thing to attempt, but it's time to stop.

The Forgotten wasn't so terrible, since her perf at least got good reviews and it made decent money... out of the terrible context of the last few Juli years, it would've looked like a totally defensible choice.

And Prize Winner I think she did just cause of her new "Happy Endings" kick.

So really, I see how things got where they are... it was supposed to be:

Prize Winner = lightweight happy flick

Forgotten = mainstream thriller

Laws = another attempt to stretch herself with bad comedy (this one is kind of unforgivable, given that Evolution already sucked)

Freedomland = oscarbait

Savage Grace = dark, critically acclaimed, classic Juli performance

But unfortunately the whole first 4 just kinda sucked, and the 5th hasn't gotten made. I just hope Juli realized the state of her career and is trying to fix it now and isn't just all "lalala, me and my perfect life". Hopefully she will get Savage Grace made soon, and Children of Men and the Bob Dyman movie will be pretty good. I do feel that there will be an upswing.

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home