Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Miscellania

Point A: Shortbus was really good and broke some new ground in the way it demystified sex in movies and desensitized its audience to the sex (arousal isn't really the point... at least usually). But I also felt like it was a bit scattered and had some pacing issues and felt a little TOO improvisational at times. But I have to see it again before making judgment. It's a lot to process. But it was easily the most unique and interesting film I've seen this year, in terms of both content and style. Not sure if that means "best" though.

Point B: Running with Scissors is in some very serious trouble, awardswise. It currently stands at 0% fresh on the tomatometer with 7 reviews counted, and that just cannot be good. Also, there are lies posted on the Running with Scissors website; if you navigate to the section with info on Annette Bening, you'll see it claiming that she won the Academy Award for Being Julia and a Golden Globe for American Beauty (she of course lost both trophies to Hilary Swank). Now, it could be an honest mistake, but it reads more as some Republican-like attempt at creating one's own reality. I have my own feelings about those awards races, as do others, but facts are facts. Somebody should really fix that.

p.s. Nathaniel, is this your doing? You know better than that.

Point C: I will soon be posting some rudimentary oscar charts for the major categories, because I feel like it.

(Hint: Bening will not be in the projected Best Actress nominees)

2 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

Yup, I (unfortunately) ditched Bening 2 weeks back as well. I don't see the film getting in anywhere else and while that's fine usually for dramatic performances, this is comedic and... yeah, I just don't think she has enough petrol in the tank to go the distance. Streep will have her DVD out soon to get energy back, Mirren is still going strong, Cruz is still to come out of the gates blazing. I'm worried about Winslet, but we'll see this week once Little Children has gone wide. And then there's the performances we haven't seen, mainly Cate Blanchett, Judi Dench and, yes, Beyonce.

My predicted 5 at the moment are Streep, Blanchett, Mirren, Cruz and Winslet.

4:17 AM  
Blogger adam k. said...

I'm not too worried about Winslet. She shouldn't have too much trouble placing, especially now that Bening is out.

And I concur with your predicted 5... with Judi Dench and Beyoncé nipping at their heels. I really think Beyoncé will come close to getting a nom. And it's always hard to bet against Judi.

7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home