Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Random thought of the day: UNITED 93's best picture chances

I just wanted to mention that I've heard several comments now on various sites declaring United 93 a "lock" or "looking very strong" for a best picture nod.

Excuse me!?

It's won a few critics' awards, yes. It's made some top ten lists, yes. It's left World Trade Center in the dust, yes. But none of this = best picture.

Critics' awards won by United 93:
Best picture: NYFCC
Best director: LAFCA

Critics' awards won by Mulholland Dr.:
Best picture: NYFCC
Best director: LAFCA
(at this time in 2001)

And we know what happened with THAT one.

United is now looking very good for the lone director spot, but a "lock" for best picture? Please. I'll believe it when I see it.

I DO want it to happen... but it won't.

1 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

Yeah it's never gonna be a lock. It's definitely a contender I think - my belief is if they actually watch it on their screener DVDs then it will be nominated. But, yeah, it's about sixth or seventh if you ask me.

Nowhere near a lock.

2:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home