Friday, January 26, 2007

OK, so I was just thinking...

Will New Line FINALLY release Little Children in cities other than New York, LA and San Fransisco, now that it's got the 3 oscar nominations they'd been gunning for all this time? It did damn well, considering no one in the country has seen it in all its 3 months of quasi-release.

I'd actually given up all hope of seeing this in theaters. I'd made my peace with it. But since it did as well with the noms as it possibly could have, I assume New Line will release it for real now. That is what they were waiting for, right? Right, New Line???

I'm pretty upset with New Line over this. They need to learn how to release their films.

They had strong reviews and they didn't release it. They had 3 globe nods including best picture, and they still didn't release it. Then they had 2 SAG nods and still they continued to sit on it. So I hope this is what they were waiting for. 3 oscar noms SELLS, dammit. Now give us the product already!

And if they're not gonna release it now, then what exactly was the point of all this? Why'd they choose to distribute it at all?

Anyway, I'll be watching for it. It better get somewhere near me soon, so I can see more than just compelling clips like this:



And dreamy stills like this:

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Yaseen Ali said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Yaseen Ali said...

I really don't understand it either. New Line execs (or whichever suits who take care of this sort of thing) should be quite thankful the film earned three nods - we all know they weren't working for them! The nominations just fell into their laps. It's nothing short of miraculous.

Today in the paper, I saw practically every Oscar-nominated film has been expanded into countless theatres; even Pan's Labyrinth is playing at the local mall. And Little Children continues to play in one theatre, on one screen.

11:14 AM  
Blogger adam k. said...

It really is starting to seem like some kind of sick joke.

I can only assume that New Line had so much faith in the film that they knew it could get major oscar nods without having really been released at all. This way, give voters plenty of time to process their reaction to such a "thinky" film, but they only have to expand once they can capitalize on awards buzz, and they also save money on advertising. It's actually not a bad strategy as long as that really was their strategy. In which case it should've expanded... TODAY. And it's still playing nowhere in my state.

It has nothing left to get nominated for. If they don't get it out there soon, the oscars will be over and no one will care at all. What is the deal???

2:05 PM  
Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

It is incredibly strange. Isn't it already pencilled in for a March DVD release? I swear I read that somewhere.

My only guess is that they just don't think it will play well at all outside of those major cities and that they can't justify the post of prints and marketing for the minimal return on their investment.

It cost $20mil though so they obviously had some faith in it.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

the COST of prints.

But, still, you'd think they'd release it in some other major cities. Just ones like Chicago or Seattle.

8:30 PM  
Blogger adam k. said...

Or MIAMI or PROVIDENCE ; ) Or even Boston (I can get there in an hour on a bus).

It was actually on Miami Beach for literally like 3 or 4 days. And then it was gone. And I missed it.

And if it really cost $20 million (really?), they should at least release it in all the major markets. People will see a film with 3 major nominations. They really will.

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home