Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Oscar nominations video!

Yay! I found an online video of the nominations announcement! Why didn't I think of this right when I woke up at 1:00pm? I could've totally seen the video with all the suspense, and without having to get up early. Damn.



Anyway, here are my top ten favorite moments:

10) When I heard Abigail Breslin's name called (this would've been way further up the list if I hadn't already known).

9) When, during the best picture announcement, I heard the words "Letters from Iwo Jima" instead of the word "Dreamgirls" (hey, I'm trying to pretend I was hearing these for the first time).

8) When I realized that both Mexican screenwriters are named Guillermo (I had never made that connection before... yeah, I'm stupid, so what?).

7) When Sid Ganis mispronounced "Cuaron."

6) When the producers of 2 of the 5 best pic nominees were announced as "nominees to be determined."

5) When Salma struggled to pronounce "Denmark."

4) When Salma said "best foreign film language" instead of "best foreign language film."

3) When Salma yelled "YES!" at the announcement of Penélope's nomination (note how badly Sid Ganis pronounced "Volver" and how it slipped by virtually unnoticed amid Salma's outburst).

2) When Salma got beautifully emotional at the announcement of "Mexico, Pan's Labyrinth" and then suddenly went cold at the announcement of "Canada, Water" (note how she STILL looked a little bit dazed about something right before announcing best picture - I'm snarkily hoping it was the Volver snub, but maybe she was just tired).

1) When Salma totally lost it and started crying when announcing Babel as a best picture nominee (saying the full mouthful "Alejandro Gonzalez Innaritu" for the second time). Her honest emotion upon seeing her home country honored is touching.

And I had no problem with her yelp of joy for Cruz. It was a POSITIVE gesture; she wasn't dissing anyone. It's not like she was noticeably displeased with some non-Mexican nominee beating a Mexican nominee-- oh wait, she HAS done that before, hasn't she? Back when Nowhere in Africa beat El Crimen del Padre Amaro in 2003. Whatever, her obvious pro-Mexican bias is totally entertaining, albeit unprofessional at times.

And seriously, do they always go out and get Salma to announce things when hispanics look likely to win? She got to announce Gustavo Santaolalla's win last year, too, and I know she has no other connection to the "best original score" category. I feel like that was deliberate.

But anyway, good show. I enjoyed this. I'm really glad I found the video.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

Teehee, I taped the Oscar announcement on my HDR and I'm gonna keep it on there for a while It's fun to watch.

I was going to send you an e-mail but you seem to taken your e-mail out of your profile (or I just couldn't find it).

Anyway, to insert a YouTube clip you go to the page of the clip. Then to the right of the viewing box it has the title of the clip and who posted it. It also says URL and has the URL that you can copy and paste into a link.

And under that is says Embed and has a long code. Copy and paste that code into the post whereever you want to place it (at the top, at the end, doesn't matter) and it'll show up when you submit. And people can watch them while still being at your blog. :)

Also to make text a different colour you do this:

Go to your Blogger dashboard and click New Post as usual. When the next screen comes up where you type your post click on the little tag in top right corner that says "Compose". This gives you the option to change text colour, add bullet/number points, alignment and all the functions like bold and italics.

I prefer to use the "Edit HTML" screen personally because this way I know what I'm going to get. Sometimes working in the Compose area gets confusing and harder to get things just the way I want them. And cause I know most standard HTML it's easy. But, yeah, if you're HTML illiterate you wanna work in the Compose area. Just highlight the text and change the colour. Simple. And then click back to the Edit HTML page if you wan (I do) and the HTML will be there.

I know that probably sounded really confusing so if there's any probs give me an e-mail. My addresses are on my blog.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

Oh, you need to make sure there is at least a < space > or an < enter > between the last > of the YouTube code. Otherwise the word you type will sit right next to the video (as it's done now) and will make it too wide. If you just put in a < space > or press < enter > the text should move down to the next line and your posts will move back to the top of the page.

Hope that helps.

8:20 PM  
Blogger adam k. said...

What? What happened to the video??? It's gone! I don't get it, it was here and working fine a few hours ago.

Is it gone because there's not enough space, like you say? But it was working fine before. I'm so confused.

2:51 AM  
Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

It's still there. I can see it.

When I said you needed to < enter > I meant you had to just press the enter key. I didn't explain that properly, I know. Just press enter after the last > in the YouTube Code.

4:00 AM  
Blogger adam k. said...

This is bizarre. Why can I see my other embedded YouTubes when I can't see this one?

I also don't see what's so wrong about having lines of text touching the video. It looks fine to me...

...but then again, I can't see the video.

We must be seeing totally different things.

p.s. there's a new post now above this one that I think you'll like. Check it out.

4:33 AM  
Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

It's because the width of a YouTube embed is 425 pixels wide, and the space Blogger allows in it's text box is only around the 425 mark. So when you type a word right after the code without a space or an enter it's like you're extending the image to 450 or something and it doesn't it, which means the sidebar stays up the top, but all your posts get pushed to the bottom because that's the only place it fits.

It's silly, but it's how it works.

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home