Tuesday, June 12, 2007

"I roared.
And I rampaged.
And I got bloody satisfaction."

I just checked Nathaniel's Action Heroine Blog-a-thon, and was SHOCKED to learn that so far, no one had written up Uma Thurman. At least as far as I could tell. So while there are plenty of great badass women to choose from (Thelma of Thelma & Louise, Ripley in Aliens, the X-Women, and all the girls of Grindhouse), I've decided to just go with Uma as "The Bride."

I've always felt like something of a kindred spirit to Uma. She, like me, is blonde, awkward/pretty, and extraordinarily tall. In fact, one of my major goals of the past few years has been to dress up as Uma as The Bride for Halloween. I've REALLY wanted to do it. Most of my friends know this, since it's come up many times in conversation. But where does one find...

A) a sword
B) a yellow track suit
C) the perfect long, blonde wig

All three items are crucial for an effective costume. And when you add in the fact that it'd be even harder to get a tracksuit in my size, the feat seems all the more impossible. But maybe, one day, it'll happen.

I actually wasn't a big fan of Uma before seeing her in Kill Bill. In fact, I still haven't seen her in much, outside of those and Prime. I know. I'm TERRIBLE. I have not actually seen (in their entirely) Dangerous Liasons, Pulp Fiction, or Henry & June. So maybe I have no business writing about Uma. But how can I not, when her Bride is so fierce and awesome? Never mind that her real name turned out to be "Beatrix Kiddo" - I always try to block that out - she's still the best action hero of this century. Rose McGowan with a machine gun for a leg comes in a distant 2nd.

Here's some footage of The Bride in action:






I dare you to find ANY chick more badass than that.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger VW said...

I do like Uma Thurman. Might be time to watch Pulp Fiction again. Fun post - great sword pix!

7:50 PM  
Blogger NATHANIEL R said...

you know you CAN actually buy yellow tracksuits and swords in NYC at costume shops. not sure if the tracksuit comes in your size but still...

6:53 AM  
Blogger PIPER said...

Good post. This movie has help up very well for me. I posted something from Kill Bill as well about Oren. The dinner table scene where she declares her leadership is among my favorites.

8:53 AM  
Blogger adam k. said...

Hmm, maybe I'll try that then, next time I'm there. Do they have them specifically so people can dress up as The Bride? Do they have the black stripes? Haha.

I'd forgotten how hilarious some of the dialogue was in the Kill Bill films. "Bitch... you don't have a future" makes me crack up.

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home