Saturday, July 28, 2007

Alberto Iglesias is a really good composer.

I just realized after downloading the soundtracks of the last two Almodovar films on iTunes that I REALLY like Alberto Iglesias. Not just from time to time, but ALL the time. He's probably my third favorite contemporary composer, behind Desplat and Santaolalla (Clint Mansell is genius when he works with Aronofsky, but what does he do in between? got me)

And does anyone realize that Alberto's been oscar nomination worthy for the past three years in a row? And in one of those years, he was actually recognized.

2004: Bad Education
2005: The Constant Gardener (surprise oscar nod!)
2006: Volver

Now, clearly those statues belonged to Alexandre Desplat (Birth), Gustavo Santaolalla (Brokeback), and Clint Mansell (The Fountain), but Alberto deserved to be nominated all three years. His music is so lovely and lyrical. And I love how he can take his spicy Spanish sensibility and tailor it to totally different movies like The Constant Gardener, with the style still distinctly "him" but also perfectly suited to each film.

Now that he's been nominated for an oscar, I'd love to see him nommed again for an Almodovar film. I have to figure out just how long he's been collaborating with Pedro, but these last two scores have been brilliant.

Any relation to pop music sensation (and WHO'S CUTER winner) Enrique Iglesias? I doubt it (though that'd be cool).

7 Comments:

Blogger J.D. said...

I don't really think the score for TCG was Oscar-worthy, no idea how it got there. The rest of the film was perfect though. :D

And I'd say Shigeru Umebayashi (House of Flying Dagger), John Williams (Memoirs of a Geisha), and Mansell. But that's just me. No, really, just me.

1:31 AM  
Blogger J.D. said...

And his score for Volver was great though. Great feeling to go with the telenovela in play.

1:35 AM  
Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

I didn't nominate him for Volver, but I definitely would have for The Constant Gardener and Bad Education.

Mansell does actually do other film music, it's just a) nowhere near as prolific and b) not as good.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...I love the score for The Constant Gardener. I had no idea it was the same guy!

10:29 PM  
Blogger Marius said...

I agree; I also think Alberto is very talented.

By the way, you've been tagged. See my blog for details.

10:13 PM  
Blogger RC said...

i like Santaolalla's work a lot...i think i'm interested to hear him bring some diversity to future projects though.

And Despalt was soooo annoying with his scoring of the Queen...it was too much, but the Painted Veil was excellent!

2:45 AM  
Blogger Yaseen Ali said...

I think Volver's score is mightily award-worthy; I definitely prefer it to last year's five nominees.

My winners:
2004 - Desplat, Birth
2005 - Marianelli, Pride and Prejudice
2006 - Desplat, The Painted Veil

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home