Monday, February 18, 2008

TOTALLY RANDOM: Top Five Films of the Decade

I was just thinking about this for some reason, and the five I came up with without thinking too hard are:

Brokeback Mountain
Dancer in the Dark
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Far From Heaven
Moulin Rouge!

There were other great films, but these five are just sticking with me as the most innovative, memorable, unique, ambitious, and just eminently watchable (i.e. true modern classics). I'd give an honorable mention (and general shout out) to the whole LOTR trilogy. But none of them on their own can quite crack this list of five, in my mind. Mulholland Dr. is also really something, but I rarely get the urge to watch it again, and whole stretches of it kinda bore me, so I can't quite include it.

Notice that Dancer is in bold, because I think it's still the winner in any "best of the decade" contest. That part's easy. That film is pure divinity. But I can't really rank the other four... it's just too hard. No order makes sense to me. So let's just call this my nominee list for film of the decade. I'm starting to wonder if any of these will be toppled by decade's end. The last few years have reminded me not to take great years like 2001 and 2002 for granted; they're not all that way. But I hope that by the end of the decade this list could include ten and still have no weak link.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home