Thursday, April 20, 2006

Dead White Males (a.k.a. why I never post)

Glenn should find this interesting.

The reason I never post lately is that I'm very very busy with my life, namely a show I am in called Dead White Males. Glenn, maybe you've heard of it. It's Australian. It is by David Williamson (an Australian), and it's about the college humanities curriculum and the trend toward the poststructuralist, feminist, multiculturalist angle. It revolves around a college student named Angela Judd, who takes a class in lit theory and is exposed to the idea that ideology, not human nature, controls her life. The title refers to the traditional canon of writers who Angela's professor accuses of being hopelessly out of date and complicit in propogation of the regressive ideologies of their times.

I have a supporting role as Angela's father, Martin Judd, an unemployed middle management worker married to a pushy hard-core feminist executive. Very glamorous. Martin is writing a novel, though... he is a sarcastic/funny creative type who's learning to enjoy being a house-husband.

We had to change a bunch of lines, since the Australianism "bloody" appears an average of about once per sentence (not exaggerating here). But it's been a fun show to work on. The cast is chock full of cool people, and the play, on the whole, is quite funny. It does take up a lot of my time, though...

1 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

Bloody hell, i HAVE bloody-well heard of that. Good bloody job!

Seriously, I may not type it often but I say "bloody" a helluva lot. "Bloody hell!" mostly.

(you're a bit young to be a father)

2:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home