Monday, April 03, 2006

Flags of our Fathers

What is it about this upcoming film (and it's title) that bothers me so? It is that Clint Eastwood and Paul Haggis might have another awards hit AGAIN (the third for each of them in the past four years)? Or is it just that title? Not only is it obnoxiously alliterative, in that "look how alliterative we made the title" kind of way, but it seems to be a direct nod to both nationalism and the patriarchy, simultaneously. Eww. When I look at the title, I can't help but picture lots of grumpy old men putting big flags and Bush/Cheney signs on their lawns. They're our fathers... and those are their flags. I mean, if they HAD to go alliterative, couldn't they have called it "Pride of our Parents"? OK, no, but you see my point, right?

I dunno. Unless the film turns out to be some kind of cheeky riff on patriotism/patriarchy, you know "deconstructing" them and whatnot, revealing them for the outmoded and inhumane paradigms that they are... kind of how Eastwood's M$B did a little bit with boxing (but not TOO much)... then I don't think I'll care much for it. But I'll give it a chance. Eh. Whatever.

5 Comments:

Blogger Javier Aldabalde said...

Unless this movie somehow wins seventeen Oscars and I'm forced to watch it, there's no way I'm seeing this. The title as you say, already is vomit-inducing.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

It does indeed sound horrible. But even worse for people such as Javier and myself who aren't even American. I'm all for being patriotic, but this feels like oscar-bait patriotism.

"Look how respectful we are to older generations!"

10:00 AM  
Blogger adam k. said...

Haha. Silly non-Americans...

But yeah, I'm really not expecting to like it, given my previous experiences with Haggis/Eastwood. I think I'll only even see in the theater if it's really well reviewed and awarded. Must cut corners, you know, in order to be able to do things like, say, buy BBM, Safe, 9 to 5 (special edition) and Moonstruck (special edition) all in quick succession on amazon. That's what I just did. Yay!

2:11 AM  
Blogger RC said...

Flags of our fathers is based on a book w/ the same title by the son of one of the guys at iowa jima.

I had a post here about it:

Strange Culture: Flags of Our Fathers

Maybe that'll explain the title to you.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

2:25 PM  
Blogger adam k. said...

Well I did give the disclamor of "unless it deconstructs the idea of patriotism" etc. and I guess apparently it does, so good for it. I was exaggerating a bit about how bad it sounded, cause I like a good angle to write from, you know, but I am generally turned off by most war/patriotic films. Perhaps this will be an exception.

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home