Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Meryl Streep Marathon


I have recently realized that I've not seen nearly enough of Meryl Streep (and no, I don't mean "not enough skin"... although I am one of those who truly believes Meryl is beautiful and sexy... has she ever done much screen nudity? ...I believe she showed her breasts in Sophie's Choice). Anyway, no, I don't mean skin, I mean films... I am a devout Meryl fan, and I've not actually seen many of her films!

I have seen her two (only two!?) oscar-winning roles (Sophie, Kramer), her two best comedic performances (Postcards, Adaptation), her chameleonic Emmy-winning AiA showcase, her less-great-than-usual Hours perf, and her sappy oscar-bait (but still great) work in Music of the Heart... oh, and her most recent turn as a Jewish mother/therapist in Prime (which I loved)... and her little cameo in Manhattan... and that's it. That's eight films and one TV miniseries... well, OK, once, many years ago, I sorta half-watched French Lt's Woman, but I'm not counting that, since I barely knew who Meryl Streep was back then, and I remember next to nothing about the film. Now that I worship at her altar, I feel I should see it again... along with nearly everything else she's done.

So, I just primed my netflix queue for a Meryl Movie Marathon, or a Meryl Streep Marathon, or a Meryl-Thon for short. In honor of her 13 oscar noms, I intend to watch 13 Meryl films in sequence (though not the exact films that earned her those nominations)... the marathon will consist of 12 of her best as-yet unseen (by me) performances, viewed chronologically, capped by her greatest-ever perf, in Sophie's Choice (which I've already seen... but c'mon, I could watch that performance all day). I will get to watch Meryl age and evolve from her first oscar nom in the late 70's, through her long LONG peak in the 80's, through her "stretch" experiments in kitchy comedy and action, on through her new highs in the mid-to-late 90's. And then the Meryl apotheosis that is Sophie. I'm so excited! The only film I tried to get that I couldn't was Ironweed, which apparently is not available on netflix (maybe it's at Blockbuster?)... but anyway... the list of films is thus:

1) The Deer Hunter
2) The French Lieutenant's Woman
3) Silkwood
4) Plenty
5) Out of Africa
6) A Cry in the Dark
7) She-Devil
8) Death Becomes Her
9) The River Wild
10) The Bridges of Madison County
11) Marvin's Room
12) One True Thing
13) Sophie's Choice

I'm SO pumped. More Meryl madness to come...

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

I wish I could do that but the DVD service I use doesn't work like Netflix. You just put certain movies as "High Priority" or "Medium Priority" or "Low Priority" and they come from high priority down but you can never know what you're gonna get. You can't pick the order they arrive.

But, man, I really wanna see so many of those movies. But a lot of aren't even available on DVD in Australia. And if they are, they're not on my DVD service (which is the biggest in Australia).

I've seen The Hours, Adaptation, One True Thing, Death Becomes Her, Postcards From the Edge, Manhattan and her small role in Lemony Snickets. I'm so lax in my Meryl exposure.

btw, a good name would be The Streepathon.

5:36 PM  
Blogger adam k. said...

You really need to see Sophie, Kramer, and AiA. They are the essential Meryl.

I'm upset that Ironweed isn't available on DVD ANYwhere. The DVD has never been made. So that will still be a hole in my viewing.

The "Streepathon" is a good name... but I can't get over the amazing alliteration and sound echo of the "Merylthon" or maybe the "Meryl Marathon" or the "Meryl Movie Marathon" or the "Meryl Streep Marathon"... so many good titles... the woman was made for marathons.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

Cool site, check out mine.

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude... Postcards!

1:09 PM  
Blogger adam k. said...

I have seen Postcards, and Streep is pretty great in it. Not one of her very best, I don't think, but it's about the funniest she's ever been ("it's a comedy RULE?"), plus she sings. Definitely a better perf than most actresses will give, ever.

1:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really love Meryl Streep... And I really want to watch all of her movies, but it's hard to find a Meryl Streep movie here in the Philippines. And I can not afford to buy a DVD, because I'm just a student...

I've seen The Devil Wears Prada (She is so pretty in this movie), Defending Your Life, River Wild (I love her character in this movie), Falling in Love, Lemony Snickets (Meryl Streep is so funny in this movie), PRIME, The manchurian Candidate, She-Devil and my favorite... Postcard From the Edge... I was not able to watch the whole movie because I'd just watch it in HBO... I really like the song (I'm Checking Out) that she sang. From the day that I dowloaded it to my MP3 I can't help my self listening to it...

6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home