Tuesday, March 20, 2007

I just saw Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story...

...as part of a mandatory screening for my filmmaking class. YAY!

I was about to ask "could we watch Todd Haynes' Karen Carpenter movie one week?" when my prof announced what we were watching. I should've known it was coming. The department here worships Todd Haynes (its most famous alum).

Anyway, everybody see it if you can. It's kind of magical. You could see what a talent Haynes was even then. Who else would dare to do this? Too bad it's actually illegal to own and show it, cause of that lawsuit. Barbie dolls + the Carpenters' music + anorexia battles = cinematic gold (here it is on google video).


And also, just randomly, I think Mint Chocolate Coated Oreo cookies are the best cookie type known to man. They're like thin mints and oreos combined.

And also, again randomly, why weren't there any comments on my Jennifer Holliday post? I hope it's not cause nobody cares. I personally have watched those clips more times than I can count since posting them. LOVE. that. woman.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

I was going to watch it on YouTube the other week but just as the sixth segment was downloading (I was waiting for them all to be downloaded) my computer froze. Ugh.

12:44 AM  
Blogger Yaseen Ali said...

It's pretty chilling, isn't it? Todd Haynes is a genius. Have you seen Safe yet, Adam?

Can't wait for I'm Not There.

6:40 PM  
Blogger adam k. said...

I OWN Safe.

Yes, Todd Haynes is a genius, and then some. The only film of his I haven't seen is Poison. I should really netflix it right now. The only reason I'm not as excited about it is that I'm sure it's not as great as all his other stuff (probably including Superstar). Nobody ever talks about it. I was once very excited for its gay sex scenes, but apparently they're kind of grim and not so graphic.

And yeah, I guess it's true that nobody cares about my JHoll post. Whatever, it's OK. Your loss ; )

9:36 PM  
Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

If you search for "Poison Todd Haynes" on YouTube you can find one of the gay sex scenes from Poison. I wondered why it was even allowed on YouTube to be honest.

Safe is definitely Haynes' best I reckon.

12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home