Sunday, March 11, 2007

DVD sale + The Lives of Others

There's an event called "The Big DVD Sale" on amazon right now, with tons of classic films half off, and other, less classic films going for as low as $5. I just caved and bought a LOT of DVDs of old movies (to the tune of $115)... probably not the best idea. But now I will own such classic films as All About Eve, Singin' in the Rain, My Fair Lady, and Casablanca, among others... and all on the cheap. So yay!

Also, I saw The Lives of Others yesterday. Very good film. I must unfortunately admit to having fallen asleep in the middle for a bit, simply because I was tired (this had nothing to do with the quality of the film - I also fell asleep the first time I saw Volver, and I LOVE Volver - though Lives was rather slow and dry, which didn't help). Anyway, I have no real preference between this and Pan's Labyrinth for foreign film. Both are very good; neither is my favorite (I still prefer Volver to both). But I suppose I'm glad Lives won, since Pan's got plenty of attention elsewhere. And though Lives seems to have won based on its being "important," it also seems like the kind of film that will improve in the memory, whereas Pan's is the kind that wows on first viewing, but doesn't really improve with time. So good on AMPAS for their vote.

I really should try and see it again without falling asleep, but I don't know when that'll happen. You know when you suddenly have this overwhelming need to sleep, out of nowhere, right in the middle of a film? And you just CANNOT keep your eyes open, no matter what? I hate that. So frustrating. At first, sleep is such a beautiful relief, but then you wake up and you're like, "shit, I just missed a lot of the movie" and you feel all guilty. Argh. Oh well.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

I totally get that sleeping thing. It's being so idle for a long period of time just makes the lack-of-sleep catch up on you. I've done it a couple of times.

1:54 AM  
Blogger adam k. said...

I actually really enjoy falling asleep at movies when I just give up and let myself do it. Since being at the movies is like being in some dreamscape anyway. But I just feel guilty afterwards, for not having seen the whole film (and cause I'll probably end up shelling out another $9 to see it again and find out what I missed).

I tend to give films I fall asleep at the benefit of the doubt, for better or worse. Sometimes it makes sense (Volver), and other times I'm horrified at my misjudgement (The Family Stone).

2:07 AM  
Blogger adam k. said...

Actually I hope I haven't overvalued Lives of Others for that same reason. I do remember thinking at times that it was somewhat preachy and boring (that's around when I fell asleep). But the ending really packed a wallop. It's very sobering. And obviously it's very well regarded in the critical community at large, so I went with the positive feelings.

2:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home