Sunday, June 17, 2007

The Great Global Warming Swindle?

Everyone, please watch this when you have time. It's kind of important. No, not because global warming is destroying the world. Because global warming might not be destroying the world. Might not. I don't think I really believe this thing (it's apparently been discredited in most circles), but it's quite thought provoking nonetheless.

At first glance, it's pretty convincing. It systematically lays out the means by which (allegedly) an unsubstantiated myth, first proposed a few decades ago, has recently became gospel among many. It also addresses the issue of scientists being "bought" by oil companies, with several scientists in the film claiming they've been accused of being "bought" but in fact haven't been. Still, once I read up on it, I found that it's basically been dismissed as anti-environmentalist "propaganda," and that it misrepresents many facts. But it's just hard to know what to believe anymore.

So do I still worship Al Gore and An Inconvenient Truth, which this film claims is a sham? I dunno. Perhaps my fervor about it seems to have been misplaced. Or perhaps not. I need to watch it again with more critical eyes, and really read up on this issue. Cause as of now, I don't know what to think. I think I'm still on Gore's side of the fence, but it's all such a sea of confusion.

Please do watch the film, though. It's a little over an hour long, so sitting through it is a commitment. Once you start, though, you won't wanna stop. It kind of draws you in, even if you're being critical. Feel free to discredit it, if you have valid reasons. My instinct is that it shouldn't be trusted, but this is such a serious issue that I don't want to dismiss anything. It seems silly to believe this one documentary instead of my everything else I've heard, but it does make some very good points. Even if the filmmakers do have some kind of agenda to mislead. Anyway, please at least watch it, and if you have opinions, please give feedback. I know this is a film and entertainment blog, but sometimes I feel the need to be more serious.

Here's the film, in 8 parts:










I just don't know what the hell to think anymore. The global warming issue is confounding.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger J.D. said...

I just don't know what the hell to think anymore. The global warming issue is confounding.

No... global warming exists. It's just a horrible name for the situation, mainly because it's led to one of the anti-truth movement's (like in the movie) greatest excuse, "But if it gets warm, how'll it get cold?"

Personally I'm kind of offended by all this. How could anyone really believe that global warming can't be real? How? Something is going with the environment of the entire planet, BUT we may not be entirely to blame. I actually think that another ice age is supposed to happen, but maybe a thousand years from a hundred years ago. Now... less than a century. We're speeding the inevitable basically. That still isn't good or natural.

[shame finger motion while shaking head]

3:09 PM  
Blogger adam k. said...

Nobody's claiming (well, at least I'm not) that global warming doesn't exist. But there is an argument that humans are not at fault and that certain measures being recommended now would do more harm than good for global society.

I don't really buy that argument, but there do seem to be scientists who think that. But I know global warming exists. I mean, duh.

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The whole thing is ridiculous. Even if, however unlikely, humans are not responsible for global warming (common sense begs the question: where do we think all the tons of greenhouse gases we dump into the atmosphere go?), the argument that recommended solutions could possible do more harm than good are ludicrous. Essentially, we are being asked to pollute less, to decrease the adverse effect we are having on the environment, to return to the original state of nature in which it only affects and is affected by itself rather than by human intervention. Taking care of the environment will always be a win-win situation.

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home