Thursday, June 14, 2007

WHO'S CUTER: Leonardo DiCaprio or Ryan Gosling?



















This week features two more blonde heartthrobs: Ryan and Leo. They actually have a lot in common. Both were 2006 oscar nominees, both are tall & blonde, both have been in the biz since childhood, both were sent through the teen heartthob meat grinder, and both came out the other side as serious actors. I thought I'd document their shared career evolution, for your enjoyment.

Here they both are trapped in teen heartthrob hell:



















And here they both are being angsty about it:
("growing pains," you know... hardy har har...)



















And now here they are, grown up, in all their scruffy glory:



















And now, just for good measure, here is each man showing his woman a good time. And HOW. Oh, what I wouldn't give to be Kate or Rachel...


Anyway, yes, they have all these things in common, right down to the matching cheesy romance flicks. But there are many differences, too. For instance, I've always found Leo rather feline, while Ryan, at least to me, is much more dog-like. Do other people see it? Which do you prefer?

Sure, Leo'd win easily among the general populace, but this crowd thinks a bit outside the box (for proof, see last week's result by clicking here). I'm confident that these two are pretty well matched.

So, who's cuter, readers? Ryan or Leo?

And the cuter is...

(a week passes)

Ryan, by a mile. I had not anticipated this landslide victory, though I think you all know I'm with you. Anyone who's seen Half Nelson will have trouble not falling in love with Ryan Gosling (come to think of it, Glenn has not seen it, which probably explains his vote). No offense to Leo, who I do find very attractive, but he lost this one fair and square.


















In honor of Ryan's adorably canine tendencies, I've provided a photo of him with his animal alter ego: a doggie. Along with a few more, because I clearly just can't get enough. I love this guy.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Colin said...

Yes, comparing their auras to dogs and cats is wholly apt. Take a closer look at their eyes: Ryan's are warm and trusting, while Leo looks like he'll scratch your eyes out if you cross him. And Ryan wins at scruffy for me, hands down.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Yaseen Ali said...

Gosling. Gosling. Gosling. He's a better actor too.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

I'm choosing Leo because when it comes down to it Leo is more likely to shave and dress really swanky whereas Ryan would probably choose to look like a homeless man.

8:57 AM  
Blogger adam k. said...

Hmm, Glenn, you always like the body hair and reject the "pretty boys," and yet you also don't like the "homeless" scruffy look, preferring the men who go all clean and metro. I don't get it.

Plus, you voted for Jude when it is he, not Brad, who's much more likely to look like a hobo. I could direct you to some pictures if you'd like.

2:28 PM  
Blogger adam k. said...

re: who's a better a actor...

I'd definitely say Gosling in terms of how affecting an individual perf can be (Half Nelson... wow), but I think Leo might have more range. Too early to tell, though. Gosling is only what, 26? Jesus.

2:31 PM  
Blogger adam k. said...

And Colin, yeah, you're right it's all in the eyes. They really are like a cat and a dog. Crazy, right?

2:34 PM  
Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

I like stubble and chest hair, but not homeless man facial growth and ratty clothes.

There's a difference between being waxed and preened to within an inch of your life and looking handsome by having a shave and putting on a suit and looking fine. I do like the manly men, but, neither of these guys are what I'd define as being such.

2:14 AM  
Blogger Damselfly said...

Where Leo peaked around 21(somewhere around Gilbert Grape or Basketball Diaries)...Ryan (IMO) is not dropping off at 26 (Half Nelson being his best so far) so combine that with the bedroom eyes...Ryan has to do it for me. Hands down.

5:53 PM  
Blogger adam k. said...

Well, some would argue that Leo is still peaking with Aviator, Departed, etc. But the Half Nelson perf was still better than any of those. And of course there are the bedroom eyes.

So yeah, I hear ya.

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosling without question. I've never found DiCaprio attractive.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Marius said...

I'm with Jess; I've never found Leo attractive. So my vote goes to Gosling.

However, I must acknowledge that Leo is aging quite nicely. He's finally looking more like a real man.

12:37 PM  
Blogger adam k. said...

I don't know why people knock DiCaprio for looking young. I think they're just jealous. I'd be happy to look 10 years younger than I am. Imagine how great he'll probably look at 50...

2:10 PM  
Blogger Marius said...

No, as someone who looks younger than his real age, I'm not jealous of DiCaprio. Looking young has its advantages and disadvantages. I just don't find him attractive. My point is that he's looking better to me now that's he's getting older; whereas Gosling looks good (to me) as he is now.

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home