Sunday, October 28, 2007

"Falling Slowly"... an original?

I've seen this song being bandied about as an original song contender (and nominee in small little awards things). But isn't it ineligible? Wasn't it released on a CD Glen Hansard made before Once was ever conceived? I hate to say it, but that seems like a cut and dried case of "NOT original."

But maybe I'm wrong? I could have misinterpreted the info I gleaned way back when.

Or maybe some people just have very very lax rules. But the academy - at least in this particular category - does not. So I'm not expecting the song to go anywhere. But I'd love to be wrong.

Does anybody know more than I do? Anybody?

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

Which one was this? I would think the only songs that had a change were the one they first sing together in the music shop and the one they sing in the recording studio.

Coincidentally, those were the two finest scenes in the film for me and they'd go down a treat performed on the Oscar stage.

5:06 AM  
Blogger adam k. said...

WHICH ONE was "Falling Slowly"??? Glenn, you are hopeless.

Falling Slowly is the one they sing in the music store, that's also played over the credits. "If You Want Me", the one that's definitely eligible (I think) is the one the girl sings while walking around town thinking up the lyrics.

"When Your Mind's Made Up" is the one in the recording studio, but I think that's ineligible too, cause it appeared on the same pre-Once album.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

I don't own the soundtrack and I didn't particularly care for the movie, so why should I know all the song names?

12:35 AM  
Blogger adam k. said...

You just should.

12:36 AM  
Blogger RJ said...

Let me answer this question for you, I looked it up after I saw it.

Falling Slowly AND When Your Mind's Made Up are ineligible. Any site you've read prediciting these ought to update. Both of them are on the cd "Swell Season" that was released before the movie was made.

The big song that IS eligible is "If You Want Me" (the song she sings while walking down the street)which was not a completed song until the movie began. Also eligible is "Once" which was played over the credits, though the new Academy rules might make it so a song can't just have been over the credits.

3:01 AM  
Blogger adam k. said...

Thanks. This is exactly what I thought. But there are sites claiming that "Falling Slowly" is somehow competitive. I wish it were. But it's clearly not. Glad I got that straight.

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home