Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A few things...

1) Yes, I know I bombed on the Indy Spirit noms - why did I even attempt that? - but I was right about I'm Not There and Juno. It'll always be impossible to predict these with any kind of clarity... better to just sit back and watch. You never know when they'll fawn over celebrity (Angelina's nom) or when they'll shun it in favor of total unknowns (Linney and Kidman missing, Ledger and Bale being snubbed for Marcus Carl Franklin). Plus, you never know what qualifies. But yay for Once probably winning best foreign film and that special "Robert Altman" award for I'm Not There (though I wonder if that'll keep it from winning other categories).

2) I'm getting REALLY excited for Sweeney Todd. There's a featurette and some clips now on Awards Daily, and the film looks like it'll be quite good. Not everything will work, I'm sure, but there are a lot of interesting things happening, there's a good visual style, and all the actors seem to be on their game. And despite fears to the contrary, Depp's singing voice is really quite good. He's untrained, yes, but his singing is far from disastrous. He'll be getting many more "WOW, he can sing!" reactions than "ouch, he ruined it" reactions. So expect Depp to be the talk of the season.

3) I really have to stop now, cause I have a million things to do in the next few hours (and days). No more blogging this week! I'm in the final mad dash with school, and as of yet, have barely gotten anything done. I suck. So no more blogging. NO. MORE.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, the Ledger/Bale snubs aren't at all surprising if you've seen the movie. Those two, while they're quite good (Bale, in particular), don't have a ton to do.

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, I have to say I am disheartened at the Linney snub. She's been excellent twice this year, and has (twice) given the best performance I've seen by a leading actress in 2007.

12:43 PM  
Blogger adam k. said...

Yeah they might've snubbed Linney cause they figure she's more likely to win "real" awards. They do that sometimes. But I hope she does get noticed other places... it's still conceivable that she won't be,

12:49 PM  
Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

I hope if The Lovely Laura Linney wins critics awards that they give her awards for The Savages and Jindabyne. Cause that'd be swell.

1:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the clips I've heard, Depp seems to be more talk-singing than really singing.

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home