Monday, December 10, 2007

BEST ACTRESS: Cotillard VS Christie


















The race is on. And doesn't it seem like a great race?
They embody total opposites on the awards radar:

hot young thing VS veteran/legend

mimicry/biopic VS fictional indie

big & intense VS subtle & understated

young deglamming VS old being beautiful

edited with a chainsaw VS edited normally

French chick in French film VS British chick in Canadian film

musical/comedy VS drama (at least according to the globes)

And most people seem to be firmly in one camp or the other. They're such vastly different stars in such vastly different roles and acting styles that it's hard not to pick a side. I myself have not seen La Vie En Rose and liked Christie's perf a lot, but didn't LOVE her like crazy. So I'm on the fence for now. But it seems that it'll be one of these women, or the other... unless someone else makes a splash in a big way.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

"edited normally"

Hah, so true. Christie is my #3 for the year so far after Joan Chen and Laura Dern (remember Inland Empire is a 2007 title for me), which actually makes Christie my #1 so far for people in contention. Make sense?

Even if Cotillard loses the globe, we shall remember when Madonna beat out Frances McDormand for the musical/comedy globe and then Madge wasn't even nommed and McDormand streaked to victory.

9:12 PM  
Blogger RJ said...

god I hope Christie wins . . .



god I hope Amy Ryan or Saoirse Ronan wins . . .



god I hope Charlie Wilson's War is as awful as it looks . . .

4:57 AM  
Blogger John T said...

I am really, really hoping that if it's between these two (which it seems to increasingly seem likely it is) that the Academy is smart enough to honor Christie rather than the mimic. You're right about these two having very devoted fans in each camp, and I still don't see the alleged greatness that is in Cotillard's perf. The most impressive thing about the perf is the singing, and that's not her. Though in Cotillard's defense, she did have a really poor film to work with (all people who want to make a biopic should be forced to watch Lawrence of Arabia, or at least The Aviator).

6:33 AM  
Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

I wonder if I wouldn't feel so negative towards Cotillard if at least the film had been a cohesive whole instead of a jumbled mess.

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julie Christie ggives the best dramatic performance of 2007, Ellen Page gives the best comedic performance of 2007, done and done.

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home