Sunday, December 09, 2007

NYFCC predictions

BEST PICTURE
My prediction: No Country for Old Men
My alternate: I'm Not There
Winner: No Country for Old Men

Bingo! I got this one. It just made sense, given what's been happening. Also, I'm Not There came in third, apparently, so it was not a bad choice as an alternate.

BEST DIRECTOR
My prediction: Julian Schnabel (The Diving Bell and the Butterfly)
My alternate: The Coens (No Country for Old Men)
Winners: The Coens

Damn. Shoulda trusted my No Country hunch more fully (damn you, Glenn!)

BEST ACTOR
My prediction: Viggo Mortensen (Eastern Promises)
My alternate: Daniel Day-Lewis (There Will Be Blood)
Winer: Daniel Day-Lewis

I decided not to play it safe on this one, thinking NY might wanna throw us a curveball (they often do). But I was wrong.

BEST ACTRESS
My prediction: Marion Cotillard (La Vie En Rose)
My alternate: Julie Christie (Away From Her)
Winner: Julie Christie

I knew I was wrong on this. I don't know why I predicted Cotillard. At least I had the sense to pick Christie as my alternate (if you count alternates, I'm doin' pretty well...)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
My prediction: Javier Bardem (No Country for Old Men)
My alternate: Tom Wilkinson (Michael Clayton)
Winner: Javier Bardem

Yay! The obvious choice gets it.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
My prediction: Tilda Swinton (Michael Clayton)
My alternate: Cate Blanchett (I'm Not There)
Winner: Amy Ryan (Gone Baby Gone) AGAIN

Geeeeeeez. I keep not predicting her, thinking her last award is really her last (at least for a bit). But she just keeps winning. How long can this go on? I really should've had her at least as an alternate. I just thought NY would finally buck the trend.

BEST SCREENPLAY
My prediction: Michael Clayton
My alternate: No Country for Old Men
Winner: No Country for Old Men

Again I had winner No Country as my alternate. I knew they'd love it, I just didn't realize they'd love it this much. Crazy. And sad about the continued lack of Michael Clayton love (apart from George Clooney).

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
My prediction: Lust, Caution
My alternate: The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Winner: There Will Be Blood

They clearly liked this one a lot.

BEST SCORE
My prediction: There Will Be Blood
My alternate: Atonement
Winner: none (but my prediction here won the prize for cinematography)

Anyway... I did better with these than with LA, at least if you count alternates. These were good choices overall by NY. Next up, globe noms. WOOP

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

I'd actually be very surprised if Julian Schnabel doesn't win best director considering he is a god amongst the New York art scene. Plus, the movie's good and he's winning awards elsewhere.

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home