Saturday, May 20, 2006

Ouch! Da Vinci does a sweet belly flop.

The Da Vinci Code is now down to 18% on rotten tomatoes... I didn't think it could possibly land that low. Watching it tumble is almost as much fun as tracking Bush's approval ratings (which, to date, have sadly gone no lower than 29). Is it just me, or are critics getting harsher on big awards-bait or otherwise hyped up films that turn out to be disappointing? I remember thinking the "Geisha 35" was pretty shocking, but Da Vinci takes the hate even further. Really, I mean, things like A Beautiful Mind and Chocolat managed to stay "fresh" even though they're similarly reviled by film buffs... even The Grinch held fast at 50.

It just seems to me that the critics as a whole are much less willing to give films an easy pass these days (well, all except Roger Ebert)... maybe they're as sick of the declining quality as the general populace apparently is? I don't blame them. I still have yet to go see a 2006 release in the theater, and I certainly won't be seeing The Da Vinci code. I will eventually get my ass out to the multiplex to see United 93 and, of course, X3... and I guess I'll catch up with some smaller stuff on video.

Speaking of video, the Streepathon will begin soon, I promise... I just need to find 3 solid hours when I'm:

a) available, and...

b) in the mood to sit through The Deer Hunter.

It's proving to be a shockingly difficult task. But I will do it. I'm paying $10 a month for this netflix subscription, and I cannot afford to waste it much longer.

3 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

Shame it's making a bucket load of cash.

3:41 AM  
Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

In fact, Da Vinci is set to make more in it's opening weekend than Cinderella Man did in it's entire run.

3:41 AM  
Blogger adam k. said...

Yeah, you're right.

But I doubt it'll do much better than like $150 domestically, all told... which is not exactly stellar, considering its $125 million budget and sky-high expectations.

At least it won't be winning any awards. People will forget about it quickly. If only they'd forget about Howard, too...

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home