Sunday, January 13, 2008

Golden Globe predictions/reactions

Oy. No Golden Globe ceremony this year. But I have awards fatigue anyway, so it's OK. Or maybe my awards fatigue is due to the fact that no real ceremonies seem to be happening? Anyway... I'm still doing predictions, in case they end up giving me bragging rights:

BEST PICTURE (DRAMA):
My prediction and the winner: Atonement

Duh. Why were people so surprised at this? The HFPA are not the guilds. They'll vote for whatever the hell they want. And it was clear all along that this one was their favorite.

BEST PICTURE (COMEDY/MUSICAL):
My prediction and the winner: Sweeney Todd

BEST ACTOR (DRAMA):
My prediction and the winner: Daniel Day-Lewis

BEST ACTRESS (DRAMA):
My prediction and the winner: Julie Christie

BEST ACTOR (COMEDY/MUSICAL):
My predicion and the winner: Johnny Depp (finally!)

BEST ACTRESS (COMEDY/MUSICAL):
My prediction and the winner: Marion Cotillard
(the only pure drama performance, and hence the winner)

BEST DIRECTOR:
My prediction: The Coen Bros (No Country)
The winner: Julian Schnabel (Diving Bell)

Like, whoa! Schnabel pulled an Ang Lee on the Coens. Does this mean Diving Bell will make it into best pic after all? Or is it just another case of the HFPA liking foreign things better than most?

BEST SCREENPLAY:
My prediction: Diablo Cody (Juno)
The winner: The Coen Bros (No Country)

Well, here's their consolation prize. I'm fine with them taking this from Cody, who's sure to win the oscar anyway (without really deserving it... methinks she could stand to mature a bit as a writer before winning the industry's highest honor, but whatevs).

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
My prediction and the winner: Cate Blanchett (see? told ya)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
My prediction and the winner: Javier Bardem

BEST ANIMATED FILM:
My prediction and the winner: Ratatouille

BEST FOREIGN FILM:
My prediction and the winner: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE:
My prediction and the winner: Atonement

BEST ORIGINAL SONG:
My prediction and the winner: Into the Wild ("Guaranteed")

I changed this one after going with Clint originally... glad I did.

Before the "ceremony", I said:

"The main reason I'm doing this is to put it on record that I still think Atonement will win the globe. It hadn't dropped off the radar yet (at least to this extent) while they were voting, and I think its 7 noms will still trump No Country's four. It's not exactly Cold Mountain vs Return of the King here. Atonement is much more of a "globe" type of movie. And let's not forget, for the past three years, the best pic winner at the globes has gone on to lose the oscar in the end. So their picking Atonement would actually be totally true to form. Hopefully, it gets the globe and the BAFTA wins, and thus leaves this year's award season with something to show for it."

And I stand by it. I also said:

"I'm also sticking by Cate Blanchett, who many seem to think will lose to Amy Ryan. Now, I realize I've had a history of underestimating Amy Ryan all season long, but I don't intend to stop now. I will go down fighting. Blanchett has a double nom this year and was once thought to be the frontrunner in this category, and she hasn't won a globe in 9 years (since the first Elizabeth). I really think she'll triumph here."

And so she did. And finally:

"But what does it matter anyway, since there's NO SHOW??? How depressing. I'm especially bummed that Johnny Depp will finally win an award, and we won't get a chance to hear him speak. And of course he probably won't repeat with oscar (assuming that show goes on at all). Damn."

This is the blurb I stand by most of all. I didn't even watch this thing (though let's be honest, I probably will on YouTube later), but regardless, Johnny Depp (and Sam Morton too) not getting to speak once they've finally won stuff SUCKS. Blah.

I'm depressed. Not only this, but I'm having personal life issues, and I start school tomorrow, and I'm just not in the mood to deal with it.

Oh well.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home