Tuesday, January 08, 2008

DGA nomination reactions

Paul Thomas Anderson (There Will Be Blood)
The Coen Bros (No Country for Old Men)
Tony Gilroy (Michael Clayton)
Sean Penn (Into the Wild)
Julian Schnabel (The Diving Bell and the Butterfly)

Hmmm... interesting. I'm so glad to see Gilroy here. It gives me hope that perhaps Michael Clayton will make best picture after all (though he could easily be left out). I thought the direction on Clayton was quite excellent, and would actually like to see it with best pic AND best director noms.

Also great (though more expected) to see Anderson here. I think Blood is in for pic and director. There seems to be a groundswell of support happening, and it has all the most important precursors. Anderson could still be the lone director, but I think that slot's more likely to go to Julian Schnabel, whose film I still can't see making the cut.

I think Atonement will be in for pic but not director (though it's getting shakier and shakier), and of course Penn and his film are in (but I really don't think they can win). Burton and Scott were hurt badly by this, though, and I think the chances for them and their films are dimming considerably. I also find it harder and harder to picture Juno in the best pic list, when it doesn't have SAG ensemble, the DGA, critics awards, or tech branches. People definitely love it, but with this new setback, I'm even more convinced it's just an actress/screenplay thing.

Anyway, I think this means best pic is headed to:

Atonement
Into the Wild
Michael Clayton
No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood

And best director to:

Paul Thomas Anderson
the Coen Bros
Sean Penn
Julian Schnabel

...and someone else. Maybe a career nod to Tim Burton? (without his film) Maybe Joe Wright can pull it out. Maybe there'll be a random resurgence for David Fincher, or a random shout-out to Todd Haynes. Perhaps Ridley isn't dead after all. Perhaps Gilroy could actually make it for best director. Very hard to say.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home